20th March 2020
The adjudication of the Captain Scott Society award applications planned for the 1st of April has been reviewed.
In light of the very serious Coronavirus COVID-19 spreading across the globe and based on guidance from government regarding travel and air travel in particular it has been decided to postpone the issue of our annual awards at this time.
Applicants submissions are held on file and should the Foreign and Commonwealth Office revise its current travel restrictions for 2020 we will contact you again.
Having studied the programmes associated with a great many of the submissions it is clear that a lot of expeditions / adventures will have to be postponed if not cancelled.
I know how many of you will be very disappointed by the current travel situation and the medium term forecasts.
Your efforts in fund raising, programming, team building and taking on unique challenges is commendable and the reason the Spirit of Adventure and Sir Vivian Fuchs Youth Award exist.
We must all now stay safe and in the words of Sir Ernest Shackleton – “ Better a live donkey than a dead lion”.
I am sure most of you will go on to have great adventures; if not in 2020 hopefully 2021.
Very best wishes,